1.The All Progressives Congress, APC, on Thursday began negotiations with Senators contesting the Presidency of the Senate for the 10th National Assembly. The National Chairman of the party, Senator Abdullahi Adamu, during a meeting with aggrieved Senate presidency aspirants in Abuja, said the party would study the protest letter submitted by the aspirants as part of fresh consultations.
- A private security guard identified as John Danjuma has allegedly butchered his former employer, Boma Jumbo, at her residence in the GRA axis of Port Harcourt, Rivers State capital. Jumbo was said to be a former Director of Administration at the University of Port Harcourt Teaching Hospital in Port Harcourt. It was gathered that Danjuma was earlier arrested and is standing trial for allegedly stealing $10,000 from the deceased.
- The Presidential Election Petition Court has adjourned to Thursday, May 18, 2023, the continuation of the pre-hearing of the petition by the Peoples Democratic Party and its presidential candidate, Atiku Abubakar against the President-elect, Bola Tinubu, of the All Progressives Congress.
- The Labour Party faction led by Lamidi Apapa has distanced itself from agitation that the President-elect, Bola Tinubu, should not be sworn in pending the resolution of the petitions before the presidential election tribunal. This followed an assertion by Archbishop John Onaiyekan, an elder statesman who said the judiciary ought to have given its verdict on the dispute over the election before the next president is sworn in.
- The Nigerian Meteorological Agency (NiMet) has alerted residents of some northern states to prepare for heavy rainfall in the coming days. According to a release issued on Thursday, “Thunderstorm cells are currently observed over the northern part of the country, including Borno, Taraba, Gombe, Bauchi and Kano.
- President Muhammadu Buhari, Thursday announced the appointment of the retiring Assistant Inspector General of Police, Garba Baba Umar as a Senior Security Adviser on International Police Cooperation and Counter-terrorism in the office of the Minister of Police Affairs.
- A member of the All Progressives Congress Presidential Campaign Council in Imo State, Capt. Tony Enoch has been killed. Enoch, a retired military officer, also kinsman of the Imo State Governor, Hope Uzodinma, was killed in Oru East Local Government Area of the state, hometown of the Governor.
- The Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC), has announced that it will, today, Friday, publish the personal particulars of the candidates participating in Imo, Bayelsa and Kogi States governorship election. Spokesperson of the commission, Festus Okoye, in a statement disclosed that the publication will be done in the state headquarters and local government offices in the three states.
- The Presidential Candidate of the Peoples Democratic Party in the 2023 election, Atiku Abubakar has declared that despite what the ruling All Progressives Congress would like Nigerians to believe, he did not lose the presidential election. Atiku said this in an address to outgoing and incoming Governors elected on the PDP platform, at a reception and award ceremony organised by the PDP Governors’ Forum, in Abuja, on Thursday.
- A corpse of a yet-to-be-identified man was on Thursday morning found in a car in the neighbourhood around Isheri, Olowora Road, Ojodu Berger in Lagos. An eyewitness, who spoke with some journalists, said the man was found naked in a black Toyota car.